Visitor in Transit

If you are intending to travel through the UK as part of a stopover during a flight, and you wish to leave the airport during your time in the UK you can do so by applying for a Visitor in Transit Visa , sometimes known as a UK Transit Visa.

This type of Visitor Visa is relevant to you if you are going to pass through immigration control at the airport and then leave the UK within 48 hours. This process is also called “transiting land-side.” It is important to note that you may not always require a Visitor in Transit Visa if you are transiting through the UK, especially if you do not intend to leave the airport. 

You do not need a transit visa if you are from the European Economic area (EEA) or Switzerland, have an EEA family permit or have a Home Office travel document, for example you’re a refugee or stateless person

One of our experienced immigration experts will advise you on the best visa category to apply for depending on your individual circumstances, how long you intend to visit the UK, your nationality and what documentation you require in order to make the process as stress free as possible during your travels;  liaising with Home Office. Your caseworker will support your application with a Letter of Representation, highlighting how you meet the eligibility requirement and relating this to UK law. Call us on 020 7887 1916 or complete the online contact form to discuss your Visitor in Transit Visa.


What are the eligibility requirements for a Visitor in Transit Visa?

You are eligible to apply for a UK Visitor in Transit Visa if:

  • you are in transit to another country;
  • your transiting involves you leaving the airport;
  • you are with enough funds to continue your travel;
  • you are able to prove that the only reason for your stay in the UK is to continue transit and you have permission to enter the destination country;
  • you need to check-in your luggage on a connecting flight.

How do I apply for a Visitor in Transit Visa?

Apply outside the UK

You must apply online for a Direct Airside Transit visa:

  • You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application centre as part of your application.
  • You may be able to get your visa faster or other services depending on what country you’re in - check with your visa application centre.

Do I need a UK Transit Visa if I am not leaving the airport?

You do not need a Visitor in Transit Visa if you:

  • are from within the European Economic Area (EEA);
  • have refugee status; or
  • are a stateless person.

If you are a foreign national subject to immigration control, you do not need a Visitor in Transit Visa if you:

  • are going to arrive on a flight;
  • stay in the airport’s arrival lounge without passing through immigration control; and
  • take another flight from that same airport.

How long will a UK Visitor in Transit Visa last for?

A Visitor in Transit Visa allows you to stay in the UK for up to 48 hours.

This covers the period in which you are going to change terminals or travel to another airport to take a connecting flight from there.

What if I need to regularly transit through the UK?

If you are planning on regularly using the UK as a stopover whilst on route to other destinations, you can apply for a long-term Visitor Visa. This visa permits you to stay for up to 48 hours each time you travel to the UK and can be valid for up to ten years.

You must first prove:

  • that you have a need to frequently pass through the UK in transit; and
  • that you intend to leave at the end of each visit.

What services does Alexandra & Spencer offer?

Alexandra & Spencer has a wealth of immigration lawyers who are all experts in their field. They can offer the immediate, efficient service you need when looking to obtain UK short-term Visitor Visas. They will guide you through each stage of the application process so that you can quickly and properly acquire your Visitor in Transit Visa.

Our services include:

  • confirming that you have the satisfactory documents to make your application;
  • writing a Letter of Representation to go along with your application;
  • remaining in contact with the Home Office throughout the process;
  • ensuring that your application is completed to the highest standard.

Get in touch on 020 7887 1916 or make an enquiry online now to speak to an immigration lawyer about your Visitor in Transit Visa.

Get a free consultation call from immigration specialist

Our highly professional, dedicated and knowledgeable specialists will do all the hard work to make the immigration process easy and understandable so you will be confident about successful outcome.