Tier 2 work visa

You will eligible to apply for a Tier Work Visa if you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and have been offered a skilled job in the UK. This visa falls under the points-based system therefore criteria needs to be met in order to meet the required points to qualify.  The visa is generally processed within three weeks and you may apply up to three months before you are due to travel; and once granted it will usually be for five years and fourteen days.

You need to be employed by a licensed sponsor to apply to live in the UK and your sponsor will need to confident you are able to undertake the job you have been offered and that it actually qualifies for a visa; after which you will be issued with a certificate of sponsorship (CoS) to prove this. Other information will needed to be provided by them, such as your salary, however most sponsor are well versed on their duties.

There are four routes for skilled workers under the Tier 2 Visa; which one you will be eligible for is dependent upon the kind of work you are intending to do, and length of stay in the UK. You will also need to pay the NHS Health Surcharge.

Here at Alexandra & Spencer we will discuss your options and check your eligibility for a Tier 2 Work Visa and the eligibility of your sponsor. Your caseworker will check your documentation to make sure you submit a strong application that covers all requirements. We will complete your form and include a Letter of Representation highlighting the strengths of your application; relative to immigration law. Our company will liaise with the Home Office on your behalf until completion. 

The experienced immigration lawyers at A&S are available to help you on your way to getting a Tier 2 Work Visa and working in the UK. As part of our services, an immigration lawyer will assess your eligibility and ensure that you have all the correct documentation to make an application.

Call us today to discuss your Tier 2 Work Visa options and let one of our experts support you to achieve the best outcome. Call 020 7887 1916, complete the online contact form or get in touch on social media.

Get a free consultation call from immigration specialist

Our highly professional, dedicated and knowledgeable specialists will do all the hard work to make the immigration process easy and understandable so you will be confident about successful outcome.



What are the eligibility requirements for a Tier 2 (General) Visa UK?

You can apply under this category if you are a skilled worker who has been offered a job to fill a gap in the workforce that cannot be filled by a settled worker. To apply you will need 70 points.

To be granted a Tier 2 Visa under the general category, you must score 50 points by providing a Certificate of Sponsorship and evidence of an appropriate salary. The remaining 20 points must come from English Language Ability and maintenance funds. There is an annual limit of visas issued (for 2013-2014, 20,700 for skilled workers with an annual salary below £152,100).

You can also switch onto this visa from several other categories including the Tier 4 adult and child study visas.

What can/can’t I do on a Tier 2 General Visa?

What you can and can’t do

You can:

  • work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
  • do a second job in certain circumstances
  • do voluntary work
  • study as long as it doesn’t interfere with the job you’re sponsored for
  • travel abroad and return to the UK
  • bring family members with you

You can’t:

  • own more than 10% of your sponsor’s shares (unless you earn more than £159,600 a year)
  • get public funds
  • apply for a second job until you’ve started working for your sponsor

Am I eligible for a Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Visa?

You can apply under this Tier 2 Visa category if you are an employee of a multinational company and you are being transferred by your overseas employer to a UK branch, either long-term or for frequent short visits. You can apply for a Tier 2 Visa as a skilled member of staff to fill a post that cannot be filled by a new recruit from the resident workforce; as a graduate trainee under a structured training programme which defines progression towards a managerial or specialist role; or under a skills transfer which allows the transfer of new graduate employees to learn the skills and knowledge required to perform their job overseas, or to impart their specialist skills or knowledge to the UK workforce.

To apply you will need 60 points. You must score 50 points by providing a Certificate of Sponsorship and evidence of an appropriate salary, and the remaining 10 points for maintenance funds.

More information on Intra-Company Transfer Visas

Do I need to be sponsored to apply for a Tier 2 General Work Visa?

As a skilled worker, intending to do work in any profession which requires any specific qualification or learnt skill-set, you can apply to enter or remain in the UK to work, provided the role you are filling cannot be filled by resident UK talent.

If you are a foreign national and you are applying to work within a role such as this in the UK, you will also need to ensure that your intended employer is an official holder of a UK Sponsor Licence, meaning they are able to legally employ foreign nationals.

If your employer does not have a valid Sponsor Licence, they could face a civil penalty or risk having their Sponsor Licence revoked or suspended.

Can I switch employers when I am on a UK Skilled Worker Visa?

There is a possibility, under the Tier 2 Visa system, which allows you to change employers, however, you will need to follow strict protocol in order to ensure your visa remains valid.

You must ensure when switching to your new employer that they are officially registered as a UK sponsor. This is vital in order to avoid penalties for working illegally in the UK.

For more advice on how to ensure that you are following the correct procedure when changing employers on a Tier 2 Work Visa, get in touch with an expert immigration lawyer today.

Can I bring my family members with me on a Tier 2 General Work Visa?

Family members

Your family members (‘dependants’) can come with you when you come to the UK on this visa. Your family members must have a visa if they’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

A ‘dependant’ is any of the following:

  • your husband, wife or partner
  • your child under 18
  • your child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as a dependant

Read the guidance on dependant applications before you apply.

They’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much they’ll have to pay before they apply.

How can Alexandra & Spencer help me?

The importance of a career and being able to make the most of work opportunities is something that we take seriously at Alexandra & Spencer. Our UK-wide offices are staffed by a highly-skilled team of experienced immigration lawyers who are fully equipped to advise you on your UK immigration options.

With two offices in London, we are also one of the most respected immigration companies in the capital. Our lawyers have a wealth of experience which could help you get your Work Permit for London.

We can help you understand whether you are eligible for a Tier 2 General Work Visa, which visa type is best for you, and guide you through each stage of your visa application process.

Our services include:

  • confirming that your documents are adequate before your application;
  • preparing a detailed Letter of Representation to accompany your application;
  • managing contact with the Home Office during your application process;
  • communicating with your Tier 2 UK Sponsor;
  • ensuring they have undertaken the Resident Labour Market Test;
  • securing your Certificate of Sponsorship; and
  • completing your application form to a highly professional standard before submitting it.

Contact us now on 020 7887 1916 or make an enquiry online to receive expert advice on your Tier 2 Work Visa options from one of our immigration lawyers.