EEA Family Permit

If you are a non-EEA family member, you can apply for an  EEA family permit to enter the UK. This applies to those who are from outside the EEA, or you are the family member or ‘extended’ family member of an EEA or Swiss national.

 There are other ways in which you may be eligible, such as through a ‘derivate right of residence’ because you are the carer of someone who who has the right to reside in the UK, the carer’s child, or the child of an EEA national who previously worked in the UK. 

Another route is through a ‘Surinder Singh application’ after living in another EEA country with a British family member, or with a ‘retained right of residence’ where you have the right to stay in the UK as a family member of an EEA national who died, left the UK or no longer your partner. You must apply for the EEA family permit from outside the UK.

Once your application has been granted, you will be issued with an EEA Family Permit that usually lasts for up to five years, after which you will be eligible to apply for Permanent Residence, with an option to then apply for British Citizenship.

There will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens living in the UK until 2021. You and your family members can apply for ‘settled status’ to continue residing in the UK after June 2021, however, the scheme will open fully by March 2019.

Understanding the complex EEA law and guidelines takes time and expert knowledge, which is why we are here to help. We will guide you through your options based on your individual circumstances, applying it to the current up to date legislation and changes. Our experts will talk you through each step of your action plan, your requirements and support your application process from start to finish; working towards the best outcome for you and your family. Call us on 020 7887 1916, complete the online contact form or get in touch via social media.

UK Immigration rules are complex and challenging which is why we work to our client's best interest and understand what is at stake.

Fill out the form and one of our immigration experts will be in touch.


What are the eligibility requirements for an EEA Family Permit?
Is there a fee for an EEA Family Permit?
How long does an EEA Family Permit valid for?
How can Alexandra & Spencer help?

Get a free consultation call from immigration specialist

Our highly professional, dedicated and knowledgeable specialists will do all the hard work to make the immigration process easy and understandable so you will be confident about successful outcome.