ILR as a Bereaved Partner

If you are in the UK as a partner of a British Citizen or a person present and settled in the UK you may be eligible to apply for settlement (ILR) if your partner has died and you were and intended to continue living together permanently at their time of passing away. A partner under this Rule is a Spouse, Civil Partner, Unmarried Partner living akin to marriage.

It is important to highlight that these Rules do not apply to individuals who were granted entry clearance as a partner of a person with limited leave to remain in the UK i.e. Visa holders. The only exception is where the applicant is a partner of a person with refugee leave or humanitarian protection or EEA Nationals exercising Treaty Rights in the UK. These rules do not apply to those who hold a Fiance Visa or a Proposed Civil Partner Visa.

Call us on 0207 887 1916, email or complete the online contact form. Alternatively get in touch on Skype, Twitter, Instagram or Facebook to discuss your options as a Bereaved partner.

Get a free consultation call from an immigration specialist

Our highly professional, dedicated and knowledgeable specialists will do all the hard work to make the immigration process easy and understandable so you will be confident about a successful outcome.



When can I apply for ILR?

You do not need to wait until your current visa expires, you can apply any time after your partner’s death We recommend you apply as soon as you are able to do so and you must be present in the UK when you apply.

Do I need to meet the English Language requirement?

You do not need to take the Life in the UK Test or prove your English language skills.

How long can I stay in the UK?

Once you have been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) you can continue to live and work in the UK for as long as you wish to do so. You have access to public funds, healthcare and schools; as well as the option to apply for British Naturalisation, if you meet the requirements.