A question we get asked a lot is what option is open for businesses wishing to establish a UK presence as the Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa has been suspended? Those businesses with overseas headquarters can apply for a senior employee of the business to enter the UK as a sole representative of an overseas business visa.
What is a sole representative visa?
A sole representative visa allows a senior employee of an overseas business to come to the UK to set up and run a wholly-owned subsidiary or UK branch of the overseas business. The visa, once approved, allows the applicant permission to enter and remain in the UK for an initial period of 3 years, with the option to extend for a further 2 years and apply for settlement after 5 years.
What are the eligibility requirements for a sole representative visa?
In order to qualify for a Sole Representative of an Overseas Business visa you will need to satisfy that your overseas company:
· Is a genuine, trading business;
· Has no branch, subsidiary or other representative in the UK;
· Intends to establish a branch or subsidiary in the UK, operating in the same type of business as the overseas business;
· Intends to maintain the centre of its operations overseas.
You will also need to demonstrate that you:
· Are a senior employee in the business and do not hold majority of shares in the business;
· Have been recruited outside of the UK;
· Do not intend to take up any other employment other than for your business;
· Are competent in the English language to at least CEFR Level A1 (speaking and listening);
· Can maintain and accommodate yourself and your dependants.
Can my family accompany me to the UK?
A sole representative of an overseas business may bring, or be joined by, their:
A requirement for the visa holder to bring family members to the UK is that you have enough money to maintain and accommodate your family members in the UK without any recourse to public funds.
Do I need to invest a minimum amount of money into the UK?
No, this visa does not have a minimum investment threshold and you are only required to cover the costs of establishing the business in the UK and your family maintenance. However, consideration should be given to the costs associated with establishing a UK entity, which we can help with.
How can Alexandra and Spencer help?
As an expert in the field of Business Immigration we have the extensive knowledge and experience to grant you’re the approval you require. Contact one of Immigration consultants today for advice and guidance for your entry, extension or settlement in the UK as a sole representative and to discuss your eligibility. Call 0207 887 1916 or alternatively complete the enquiry form.